Thursday, June 2, 2011

Goal #11: New Recipe of the week

Ok, so as I embark on this new recipe and healthier eating journey, I have to keep a close watch on my budget. I don't want to do all of this and end up costing us money in the end. That's why I've decided that even when I make healthy recipes, if it calls for something that I have that isn't the fat free version, or something where the fat free version is way more expensive, I will just pass and get the regular version and watch my portions. Salad is a great filler, as long as there's not too much dressing on it!!

Last night was my first time making a new recipe!! I chose a recipe that I saw on Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition (Rachel's episode) that looked delicious, partly because that episode seemed to be the clicking point when it comes to my health. Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but I have the recipe at least!! My peanut gallery comments are the ones in italics and parenthesis.

Ingredients:
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (fresh/thawed; I used 3 large cutlets)
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, sliced thin
  • 1 cup baby carrots, sliced thin
  • 1/2 cup frozen green peas
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped or 1 Tbsp dried (cheaper for me to use dried because we have a lot)
  • 1 tsp. fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
  • 2 Tbsp. no Trans fat margarine (I used butter because we had it)
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 & 1/2 cups reduced sodium, organic chicken broth (or just low-sodium, if cost is an issue)
  • 1/2 cup fat free half-and-half (we used regular because it was the only one that came in a small container)
  • 1 cup low-fat Bisquick mix (we have a large box of regular so that's what we used)
  • 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk (milk is way cheaper)
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt & fresh pepper
Directions:
  1. Place chicken breast halves in saute pan and cover with water. Place over medium heat, uncovered, and cook for 10-12 minutes (if fresh, frozen will take longer) until chicken is poached and cooked through (don't overdo this or you will end up with rubber chicken like I had!). Remove from water and set aside to cool. (You can dump your water because you won't need it)
  2. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots, saute for 4-5 minutes until carrots are just tender.
  3. Remove from heat and add frozen peas, salt & pepper, parsley & thyme.
  4. Cut cooled chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and add to vegetable mixture. Set aside.
  5. In small saucepan, heat margarine until melted, add flour and stir well forming a paste. Add chicken broth and fat free half-and-half. Continue whisking over medium heat until just starting to thicken (this may take a while, so just be patient!). Add to chicken-vegetable mixture and return to low heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
  6. In a small bowl, combine Bisquick mix with milk with a for until just mixed. Drop rounded tablespoons of dough on top of chicken-vegetable mixture and cover and continue to simmer (on low heat) for another 7-8 minutes, just until dumpling is done. (Mine only took about 6 minutes, but to check, take a fork and try and pull out the middle of one of the biscuits. They should be fluffy, not dough-like, on the inside, even though they're steamed on the outside.)
  7. Serve in bowls, garnish with a sprinkling of fresh parsley.



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment